Short biographical note
Konstantinos Chorianopoulos is a maker, scholar, and mentor. He holds a Diploma in Engineering (Electronics and Computer Engineering) an MSc in Social Science (Marketing and Communication), and a Ph.D. in Design (Interaction Design). He has also been a post-doctoral Marie Curie Fellow for five years. During his studies and research, he has been affiliated with engineering, business, and applied arts university departments and he has collaborated with more than fifty researchers from academia and industry (Imperial College London UK, Microsoft Research USA, Yahoo Labs USA, University of Sao Paulo Brazil, Norwegian University of Science and Technology Norway, Bauhaus University of Weimar Germany). He has participated in seven European Commission-funded (ESPRIT, IST, FP6, FP7, H2020) research projects in the field of human-computer interaction for information, communication, learning, and entertainment applications in TV, mobile, and ubiquitous computing. He is the main author of more than fifty peer-reviewed research articles and he has been lecturing internationally (universities, conferences, tutorials, seminars, invited lectures) on several aspects (design, engineering, science, art) of informatics. He has served on the steering committee of the European Interactive TV organization and on the editorial boards of the following journals: Computers in Entertainment (ACM), Entertainment Computing (Elsevier), Journal of Virtual Reality and Broadcasting.
Konstantinos Chorianopoulos is Assistant Professor in the Department of Informatics at the Ionian University (Corfu, Greece). He is also adjunct lecturer in the School of Science and Technology at the Hellenic Open University.
I have been serving on the editorial board (reviews, special issues, review delegation) of the following journals: Computers in Entertainment (ACM), Entertainment Computing (Elsevier), Journal of Virtual Reality and Broadcasting
6th Iberoamerican Conference on Applications and Usability of Interactive TV (2017), ACM TVX 2014, European Interactive TV (EuroITV) conference (2005-2013), The 21st ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM Multimedia 2013), Workshop on Multi-User Services for Social TV (MUSST2013), CVRB 2013 - 1st International Conference on Virtual Reality and Broadcasting, International Conference on MultiMedia Modeling (MMM 2012, 2014-2015), Edited Book on “TV Content Analysis”, International Conference on Designing Interactive User Experiences for TV and Video (UXTV08), IET Intelligent Environments 2007, ACM SIGCHI 2006 Workshop on “sociable and mobile ITV”, ACM SIGCHI 2007 workshop on “Shared Encounters: Content Sharing as Social Glue in Everyday Places”, ACM SIGCHI 2007 Workshop on “Supporting non-professional users in the new media landscape”
Journals Computers and Education (Elsevier), The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, Journal of Computer Assisted Learning (Wiley), Human Technology: An Interdisciplinary Journal on Humans in ICT Environments, Journal of Experimental Child Psychology (Elsevier), Entertainment Computing (Elsevier), Multimedia Systems Journal (ACM/Springer), Information Sciences Journal (Elsevier), Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (Springer), Transactions on Multimedia (IEEE), Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (ACM TOMCCAP), Multimedia Tools and Applications (Springer), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (Taylor and Francis), Behaviour and Information Technology (Taylor and Francis), Telematics and Informatics (Elsevier), Computers in Entertainment (ACM), Journal of Virtual Reality and Broadcasting, International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications (IGI).
ECIS (2014), ICEC (2014), ACM SIGCHI Work in Progress (2003-2006, 2008, 2011, 2014), ACM SIGCHI Papers and Notes (2007-2014), MMM (2012-2013), MUM 2013, UbiComp 2012, 7th IEEE International Workshop on Networking Issues in Multimedia Entertainment (NIME’11), 7th International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive 2009), ACM SIGCHI UIST Demos (2008), ACM SIGCHI UIST Papers (2007), IEΤ Intelligent Environments (2007-2008), ACM SIGCHI Student Papers (2003-2006), , ACM SAC 2004 - Special Track on Ubiquitous Computing, Cross Media Service Delivery Conference 2003
Since 2005 (and up to January 2015), I have consistently provided reviews for more than three hundreds research papers, and for more than two dozens academic venues (journals, conferences, workshops). Lately, the number of requests has been growing exponentially, so I might not be able to respond to all requests in due time. Still, I am looking forward to thoughtful and targeted review requests that seriously consider past and present research interests, as indicated in Research and Publications. Please note that my current rate of accepting to review is less than 30% and it strongly depends on my professional connection with the respective associate editor. In other words, please do not take personally a possible rejection, the reason is that we have not yet spent enough time working together for me to invest back in this relationship.
Please find bellow software that has been developed in the context of projects and theses. All software is open-source, free to download and modify according to the respective licence.
- VideoAnalytics (Cloud-based proxy service that facilitates the capturing and analysis of user interactions within youtube videos) VideoAnalytics Proxy Online Service: coming soon.
- FluTrack (Mining and visualization of geocoded short messages, eg twitter, sms that have keywords related to viral human infections): Flutrack Online Service.
- SocialSkip (Cloud-based custom YouTube video player with questionnaire functionality, useful for video lectures and for video analytics, e.g., skipped/paused video regions): SocialSkip Online Service
- ChordiAction: Multi-user and Multi-touch library for large multi-touch screens with many users who work independently
- AppMapNode (Map-based node management with social features for large metropolitan wireless community networks)
- Virtual TV Channels (TV channels are produced dynamically from local-network storage)
- Personalized Interactive Maps (User interface for vector based maps and routes based on personal preferences)
I have been employed and/or acquired external funding in context of the following projects.
- ArTe: Art and Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, (2011-2012)
- VIDEOPAL: Asynchronous Video Messaging over a distance: Microsoft Research Grant (2010-2011)
- CULT (Cultural Understanding through Learning and Technology) – EC FP7 (2009-2011)
- MEDIACITY – EC FP6 (2006-2008)
- TIRAMISU (The Innovative Rights and Access Management Inter-platform Solution) — EC FP6 (2004-2005)
- CONTESSA (Content Transformation Engine Supporting Universal Access) — EC FP5 (2001-2003)
- iMEDIA (Intelligent Mediation Environment for Digital Interactive Advertising) — EC FP5 (2000-2001)
- CAMPIELLO (Interacting in collaborative environments to promote and sustain the meeting between inhabitants and tourists) — EC FP4 (1997-1999)
Awards and distinctions
- Keynote speaker at WebMedia 2012 conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2012.
- Visiting Scientist at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway (2011-2013).
- Keynote speaker at World Usability Day, Slovenia, 2011.
- Principal Investigator of a Microsoft Research fund for a field study on an asynchronous video link between primary education schools in the USA and Greece, Ionian University, Greece (2010-2011).
- Marie Curie (European Reintegration Grant) fellowship by the European Commission for research in computer mediated communication in learning environments, Ionian University, Greece (2009-2011).
- Vice-chair of the IFIP special interest group on Interactive TV, which is part of the IFIP TC14 on entertainment computing (2008-now).
- Marie Curie (Transfer of Knowledge) fellowship by the European Commission for research in interaction design and architecture, Bauhaus University of Weimar, Germany (2006-2008).
- Program co-chair of the 5th European Interactive TV (EuroITV 2007) conference, CWI, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 2007.
- Program co-chair of the 4th European Interactive TV (EuroITV 2006) conference, Athens, Greece, 2006.
- Keynote speaker at the 3rd European Interactive TV (EuroITV 2005) conference, Aalborg, Denmark, 2005.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) scholarship for the participation in the Doctoral Consortium of the ACM CHI 2003 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA, 2003
Author profile pages
PS: More recently I have dropped out of most social networks (yes, even academic ones are mostly a waste of time) and I try to get a real life!
Postal address: Ionian University Department of Informatics Platia Tsirigoti 7 49100 Corfu GREECE